Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fishnets in the Spring

I'm happy to say that I'm feeling a little less homesick today. On Saturday, Melanie and I went spring/summer clothes shopping in Shibuya. She's a skinny 5'9" redhead with killer legs but little fashion experience, so she became my barbie doll for the day. After hitting up the Gap and Zara, we had lunch at TGIF (yes, they have those here). The heavy shot of Americana cleared up my bout of homesickness.

While strolling around Shibuya, Mel and I people-watched to see how Japanese women dress during the sunnier seasons. Apparently, not all of them registered the season change: we saw plenty of young women in black leggings, knee-high boots, and heavy jackets. It was 72 degrees and sunny!

I discussed this bizarre behavior with Mina, my go-to-gal for all things Japan, and she said that women here have no qualms whatsoever about wearing knee-high boots all year round, regardless of how hot and humid it gets. I fully expect to see fainting females once we get into July.

Last week was also the start of my spring classes. As I mentioned, I am taking Bhuddism and Fiction for my Optional Electives. Lots of people showed up for the Short Fiction class on Wednesday. The professor is British and said it will be a discussion class, not lecture, so we're all very excited about it. My Bhuddism class, taught by an American who's lived in Asia ever since he graduated from Princeton in the nineties, is also discussion-based and focuses on how modern bhuddism is used to address social issues in Japan. We get to go on three field trips, including one to see a temple that was recently made over to be a "green" building- it's entirely run on solar panels!

It's odd to think that at the same time I'm beginning the spring semester, Carnegie Mellon is enjoying the annual Spring Carnival, which marks the last stretch of the school year. My sisters have built a "Jack and the Beanstalk" booth this year, and I can't wait to see the pictures! Good luck, ladies!

No comments: