Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cherry Blossoms

It is finally truly spring here in Tokyo: the leaves have returned, the warm sun, and, unfortunately, so has my homesickness :_( As I reported in my end-of-semester essay on Culture Shock, a sojourner's mood goes up and down, and this is just another small dip in time. Fear not, I shall recover.

I am, however, very grateful to be here for Hanami season. Hanami means, in so many words, cherry blossom viewing party. For about one week, the sakura, or cherry blossoms, are in full bloom, and everywhere Japanese pour outside with cameras and sake to enjoy the country's national flower. My friends and I strolled over to a nearby temple in Setagaya that is famous for its sakura, and rightly so. The trees were absolutely dripping with blossoms, and I was once again reminded how fortunate I am to be able to enjoy Japan as an American student.

But sakura season also signals the beginning of the new semester, as I mentioned in my last post. I am happy to say that my two dormmates, Melanie and Michael, who were in my class last year have tested into the same level as me, so we'll all get to worry about quizzes together again. Though we haven't registered yet, I've decided on my supplementary Japanese course: Intermediate Aural Comprehension. I tend to have trouble understanding what salespeople and others say to me (thanks in large part to keigo), so I think this class will help with that.

For my two optional courses in English, I'll be taking Japanese Buddhism and Social Suffering, and 20th Century Japanese and Western Short Fiction, which I am particularly looking forward to as a Creative Writing major.

Luckily, my schedule is arranged so I only have to travel to Keio three days a week, allowing me time to continue my unpaid internship at Mission One. I am also keeping up with my short story writing; my current project is a rather lengthy piece set in Ancient Greece. Nothing better than man-eating harpies and merciless irony to brighten your day.

Hope the weather in Pittsburgh is improving. Cheers!

No comments: