Thursday, October 30, 2008

Cosuco

Guess what I'm eating right now.

No, it's not sushi.

Or rice.

I said not sushi!

The answer: a blueberry muffin the size of my face.

I know what you're thinking: how the hell did she get back to America so fast? Don't worry, I'm still in Japan! For those of you who can't read "Engrish", the title of this post is the Japanese version of the word "Costco".

That's right: they have Costco in Japan. I don't know why, I don't know how, but they do. I haven't been there myself (here or in the US) but my friend Nicole just knocked on my door and offered me my choice of muffin from a humongous tray. She said it's just like an American Costco (though she's from Switzerland) and she would be happy to take me with her next time.

If you think a Japanese Costco is surprising, check this out: I found a Wal-Mart in Tokyo disguised as another grocery store!

There is a small grocery store conveniently located right down the street from my dorm, but it's a little pricey. Some of the dormmates suggested I check out a department store called Seiyu, located near the train station, which has a grocery store in the basement floor. Lower prices for a longer walking distance. Being the poor college student I am, I grabbed a couple of homies and hightailed it over there.

We had to walk through the first floor to get to the escalator. The center space was filled with cookie and candy counters, but around the edges were various women's accessories. At one point, we passed the hoisery section and I noticed George brand stockings. I noticed because I have a white George brand t-shirt that I bought just before coming to Japan. Now where did I buy that from...

Downstairs, we made a beeline to the fruits and vegetables; we have found that the best way to check out the price range of a grocery store is to compare produce prices. They were comparable, if not a bit cheaper, than our local grocery store. And written on the black boards between the prices was the phrase "Every day low prices".

Every day... Low prices... Where have I heard that before?

Then I walked over to the bagged salads and picked up a small package of... Great Value!?!

Oh my god, it's Wal-Mart!!!

All over the store, I saw Wal-Mart brands and slogans. I had totally assumed there just wouldn't be any room in Tokyo for a grocery store as huge as Wal-Mart; I was half right. No Wal-Marts, just mini Wal-Marts desguised as other stores. Fabulous.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go pass out into a sugar coma. Cheers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was checking out Seiyu the other day, and found out why we kept seeing those familiar slogans... apparently Wal-mart owns over 50% of Seiyu's shares... lol.

Maggie