Sunday, August 23, 2009

The fat lady has yet to sing!

Hey loyal readers! You probably thought I had left you for good. Well, fear not! Though I am returned from the land of samurai and Sony, my study abroad experience is not quite over. There is still the delightful process of reverse culture shock, which, I am told, could be as lengthy a process as the original culture shock. Oh joy.

Now, I could tell you all about my three-week vacation at home in Texas, about the amazing steak I ate every other day, the awful experience my mother and I had watching District 9, or how my dad ended up buying me two PlayStation 3's after the first was stolen; however, none of that is related to my experience abroad. So I'm gonna save myself some time and write only the relavent readjustment stuff. Like the fact that Ben & Jerry's ice cream, once my kryptonite, now tastes far too sweet, or the fact that American bread tastes absolutely terrible to me. It's like a big doughy ball of grossness in my mouth. Ew. But let's move on, shall we?

I'm blogging from my new room in my new sorority house- Tri Delta has moved from our residence on Maggie Mo to a house on the Greek Quad which is twice as large, which means twice as much estrogen under one roof. Scary, I know, but they're my sisters so I am obligated to love them. Luckily, I really do love them, or at least the ones I know.

Yeah, that's another thing that's somewhat confounding my return to the house: a good third of the girls are strangers to me. They initiated last fall when I was in Tokyo. It's a little awkward to pass them in the hall or share a sink with them in our community bathroom; we smile at each other, but neither of us knows who the other person is, but we both seem to be living here so we must be sisters. I'm sure that will wear off with time as I get acquainted with the house again, but for now, it's kinda weird.

That little awkwardness aside, I am really happy to be back. I've been spending a lot of time with the sisters I'm closest to, catching up and whatnot. They're really helping to make my transition back into the house and CMU much easier, especially the sisters I've kept in contact with over the year. I have no idea what I'd do without them!

Oh, and did I mention my room is awesome? And that it comes with an even awesomer roommate? As a senior with a strong history in the house, I got pretty much first pick when it came to rooms, so I'm in the GIANT room on the second floor, the third-floor-twin of which is a triple, if that gives you any idea. And my roommate Alex, who is also a senior and in my pledge class, just returned from a semester in France, so our room is going to end up with very international-themed decor. It's been great swapping stories with each other. I feel lucky to have a roommate that I can relate to concerning such an important event in both of our lives.

Classes start tomorrow, but I only have one hour of math; I consider my real first day to be Tuesday, on which all four of my classes are scheduled (my fifth spot is for my thesis). So though I may not have time to blog as often as in Japan (nor will I have as much to blog about), I will keep writing about how my readjustment goes, how my thesis develops, progress in my service projects, and various other areas of my life on which my time in Japan has had a lasting effect. Stay tuned, sports fans!

No comments: